There are a few situations where you may need to restrict certain users from sending email to external users. For example, you may have part time employees that only need to send email to internal users OR you might have an employee who’s about to get terminated and don’t want them emailing clients. Fortunately, in Office 365 Exchange you can create a Mail Flow Rule to accomplish this.
Create Distribution Group to Define Users to Block Outbound Email
In order for the mail flow rule to see the group, it must be a distribution group. However, you can easily hide it from the GAL so your users don’t see it. Many organizations use CustomAttribute15 to define what displays in there GAL. If that’s your case, simply do not define CustomAttribute15 or define it to a value so it does not show in your GAL; otherwise, set the attribute to Hide group from Exchange Address Lists.
- Create a new distribution group
- Name: Block Outbound Email
- Email: blockoutboundemail@<company>.onmicrosoft.com
- Members: Add any user you want to block outbound email
- If you are using Office 365 in a Hybrid Deployment, make sure you use dirsync to synchronizes your new group
Create Mail Flow Rule
- Login to the Office 365 Admin Portal https://portal.microsoftonline.com
- Click Admin then click Exchange to open the Exchange Admin Center
- Click mail flow then click on the Rules tab
- Click the + symbol and click Create a new rule
- Name the rule Block Outbound Email
- Under Apply this rule if, click the recipient is located
- Select Outside the organization and click OK
- Click More Options to add another condition
- Click Add Condition
- On the new condition, select the sender is a member of this group
- Search and select the group Block Outbound Email and click OK
- Note: Despite the wording stating “member of this group”, you can select a user instead of a group. However, it’s easier to manage and you do not need to wait for the mail flow rule to propagate on 365, which can take up to an hour in my testing.
- Under Do the following, select Block the message then click delete the message without notifying anyone, and click OK
- Click Save